Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|Senegal’s opposition leader faces setback in presidential race after defamation conviction is upheld -Capitatum
Chainkeen|Senegal’s opposition leader faces setback in presidential race after defamation conviction is upheld
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:11:43
DAKAR,Chainkeen Senegal (AP) — Senegal’s top opposition leader suffered a major setback in his quest to contest the presidency on Friday when a top court upheld the defamation conviction in a case brought against him by a government minister.
The Supreme Court’s ruling against Ousmane Sonko’s appeal is the latest twist in a prolonged legal battle that the opposition leader has alleged is to stop his presidential bid in the February elections.
“The trial was the very last chance,” Sonko’s lawyer Khoureychi Ba said of the ruling delivered after a session that started on Thursday. “I realize that Mr. Sonko’s opponents have succeeded in eliminating him from the Feb. 25 presidential election,” Ba said.
Sonko, who finished third in the country’s 2019 presidential election, is widely seen as the main challenger to President Macky Sall’s ruling party. Sall himself ultimately decided not to seek a third term in office after Sonko’s supporters launched months of protests that at times turned deadly.
It was not immediately clear if Sonko still had any chance to take part in the election. The Senegalese electoral code provides that such a conviction makes one ineligible for a presidential race. Still, the final decision rests with the Constitutional Council that rules on all the candidacies, including that of Sonko.
Sonko is currently in prison on a different charge, and will continue to face the six-month suspended prison sentence handed him when he was convicted in the defamation case last year.
El-Hadji Diouf, a lawyer representing Mame Mbaye Niang, the minister who filed the defamation suit against Sonko, celebrated Friday’s ruling as a “big, important win.”
“The minister’s lawyers won on all counts. The six-month suspended prison sentence was upheld. ... We are celebrating our victory,” said Diouf.
Sonko’s presidential bid has faced a prolonged legal battle that started when he was accused of rape in 2021. In June, he was acquitted of the rape charges but was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country. Senegalese authorities also dissolved Sonko’s political party in late July and detained him.
After overcoming one of his last remaining legal hurdles in December when a ruling that effectively barred him from contesting the presidency was overturned, Sonko formally submitted his candidacy to beat a Dec. 26 deadline. Eligible candidates will be announced in the first two weeks of January and the campaign season kicks off the following month.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- From hating swimming to winning 10 medals, Allison Schmitt uses life story to give advice
- Paris Olympics: Why Fries and Avocados Are Banned in the Olympic Village
- 'Ghosts' Season 4 will bring new characters, holiday specials and big changes
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Who plays Deadpool, Wolverine and Ladypool in 'Deadpool and Wolverine'? See full cast
- Watch this soldier's shocked grandparents scream with joy over his unexpected visit
- 3 men sentenced for racist conspiracy plot to destroy Northwest power grid
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Paris Olympics cancels triathlon training session because Seine too dirty
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- A Vermont man is charged with aggravated murder in an 82-year-old neighbor’s death
- Wisconsin Republicans ask voters to take away governor’s power to spend federal money
- Who Is Barron Trump? Get to Know Donald Trump and Melania Trump's 18-Year-Old Son
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Here’s how Jill Biden thinks the US can match the French pizzazz at the LA Olympics
- UFC 304 live results: Early prelims underway; match card, what to know
- Secrets About the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Straight From the Squad
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Why USA Volleyball’s Jordan Larson came out of retirement at 37 to prove doubters wrong
Is Christian Pulisic playing in the Olympics? Why USMNT star isn't at 2024 Paris Games
Apple has reached its first-ever union contract with store employees in Maryland
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
How many gold medals does Simone Biles have? What to know about her records, wins, more
Why are more adults not having children? New study may have an explanation.
Feds Contradict Scientific Research, Say the Salton Sea’s Exposed Lakebed Is Not a Significant Source of Pollution for Disadvantaged Communities